Tuesday, August 10, 2010

3 Day Perform Better Summit

This last weekend I went to Long Beach for the Perform Better 3 Day Functional Training Summit.  There were some great fitness professionals there, and some excellent topic such as screenings, assessments, business practices & systems.  There were two instructors I really wanted to see in particular: Grey Cook and Todd Durkin.  The other instructors were very good too, but some of their material was simply review and just lacked a certain - innovation/groundbreaking methodology that I was looking for.

As Todd Durkin told me "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and an athlete is only as strong as his weakest movement."  I knew that I was weak in a few areas of my fitness education and that is why I wanted to attend this seminar.  For me, screening and assessing each of you athletes in class is my challenge (not my weak point, because I don't have any week point) and this is why I attended.  I have quite a bit of learning to do, but the time spent will be worth it for all of you.  

Not much is going to change in the studio as far as the structure of classes, but we will be adding more mobility & stability exercises as well as a few screen protocols in an effort to continually provide you excellent guest services in personal training and CrossFit programming.  With as much as you continually beat the hell out of your bodies 5-6 times a week, we as instructors need to be sure we are spending enough time on mobility restrictions, asymmetries and stability exercises.

We want to create the premier CrossFit studio in the nation which produces the healthiest, injury free athletes in a responsible environment with a system protocol second to none.  It's not going to happen overnight, but we're not going to settle for less when striving towards this goal.

Remember, pain is not an indicator of health.  Just because you're pain free does not mean you're injury free.  If you are experiencing any kind of pain during class, please let your instructor know immediately. 

Yours in strength and wellness,
Chuck Gonzales 

No comments:

Animoto.com