Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Excerpt from my Application for CrossFit Beaverton Affiliation

With my 10+ years experience in the fitness industry as a nationally certified personal trainer and group exercise instructor with AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America), I find CrossFit to be a breath of fresh air.  In continually striving to improve myself as a fitness professional I came upon CrossFit a couple years ago.  I knew then that it would change the face of fitness.  I believe that the methodology which propels CrossFit is exactly what we need, to see significant changes in the rising pandemic of obesity and metabolic diseases around the world.  Because CrossFit is suitable for anyone, we have seen drastic changes in everyone from the deconditioned, brand new exerciser, to the “professional” CrossFitter.  It is very exciting to be part of a program that has the power to change so many lives. 

Since adopting CrossFit one year ago as my primary strength and conditioning program, I have replaced my 30-60 minute long ‘cardio’ sessions with total body conditioning that incorporates running (or rowing, or jumping rope) along with lifting heavier weight than I ever thought possible.  I’ve discovered that I love the Olympic lifts and kettlebells and am excited about teaching the virtues of ‘pumping iron’ to women.  I am thrilled with the changes I continue to see in my body by following the CrossFit protocol and my enthusiasm about CrossFit naturally encourages more women to want to try it for themselves.

I decided to become level 1 certified in December of ’09 when I realized that it was something I wanted to be a part of for the long run.  The concept of “constantly varied, functional exercises, executed at a high intensity” sums up the prescription for a perfect training program that will obtain the greatest response possible in the shortest amount of time, while preventing boredom and overuse injuries.  The icing on the cake is that all the while, we are building a community of friends with similar interests and struggles, triumphs and defeats.


-Shelly Gonzales

No comments:

Animoto.com