Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Strentgh: Get out of the zone! Eggs & beef.

Our spring strength challenge starts Monday April 5th.  We are still working on the programming and will have everything ready for the challenge to start.  We will be measuring lean body mass, body fat percentage and performance assessments.  We're really excited about this challenge and are expecting a big turn out.

To assist you with this challenge, we are trying our best to have author and nutritionist, Dr. Susan Kleiner, to present at Pacific Personal Training in April.  Keep your fingers crossed!  She wrote one of my favorite books on strength training nutrition, Power Eating.  She's just outside of Seattle,  so hopefully it wont be too difficult to bring her down.

There have been quite a few of you who have expressed interest in purchasing locally raised, grass fed beef.  Some of you already have, like Adam and Kimberly Johnson.  Adam was even kind enough to bring me some beef jerky he made which I finished by about 8 AM.  There are quite a few farmers who raise "grass fed beef", but I didn't just want any farmer.  Through a couple of clients and word of mouth, I found Soggy Feet Enterprises on Sauvie Island.  I invited them to the studio to ask them a few questions about their beef.  At Soggy Feet, they keep a close eye on their cattle, and appropriately care for them.   They feed them grass and red leaf clover (I don't know what that is).  They don't feed them grain (but there are some farmers who do in the last 30 days just to fatten it up a bit for taste) and they take them to a USDA facility for butchering.  Soggy Feet is a locally owned, licensed, insured and registered business, which is important when selling food.  Think about exercising at our studio, then exercising at a fly by night box with no nationally certified trainers, strength & conditioning coaches, no liability insurance or knowledge of working with special populations.    That's the difference we were concerned with when purchasing local beef.

The owners both graduated from OSU with degrees in agriculture and I believe this is makes them good business practitioners.  I appreciated their honesty too.  When I asked them about antibiotic usage on their cattle, they explained to me that just like any other mammal, cows get sick, especially in the winter.  Instead of watching the cattle suffer through sickness, they MAY give them an antibiotic.  However, there are NO antibiotics given to the cows 6 months prior to butchering.

They sell their beef in whole, half and quarters.   Later this week we will have the dry-weight pricing butchering options and order forms.  They told me before, but I don't want to misquote them, and I don't have my notes in front of me right now.

As always, please let us know if there is anything our staff can do or provide to improve your experience at the studio and make each and every one of you a Raving Fan.  We have no pride and will do (just about) anything.

Gracias,
Chuck & Shelly/ShellChucker Gonzales

No comments:

Animoto.com